Wednesday 5 October 2011

Why Writing At Squidoo

One of the things people ask me when I tell them that I write at Squidoo for fun and profit is ... why writing at Squidoo. Why not writing for my own sites.

Well here is why.

If you know me, you know that I have many hobbies (sometimes too many to count) and interests. From making jewelry to greeting cards, from spirituality to all aspects of the occult and esoteric (and supernatural of course), I have a lot to talk about because over the years I've learned a lot.

I have a few websites as well, however an actual website is usually on a particular topic. So basically each article on that blog or site is evolving around that topic (let's say making jewelry).

Thus on a website that is focused as such, you can't tackle several different topics because Google will be confused as to what on earth is the site actually about, and won't rank me anywhere (so people won't find my site in Google search at all).

And in all honestly, I might not want to spend all my time writing only on jewelry (I do have a blog on jewelry actually) but it would take all my time to just write and write all day if I had to create a blog or a site on every single topic that I'm interested in.

And this is why Squidoo is the perfect platform to write (I love writing!). Each Squidoo lens is like a blog post on Squidoo (I think of Squidoo as a big open blog where everyone can write their own posts).

I can write on any topic I want, and if I want to expand on that topic, I simply create a few other lenses on the same and interlink them so that visitors can find all my related articles on a subject.

Once I've exhausted the topic (or I moved on with my interests - which tends to happen quite often), then I create a new lens on whatever I'm learning about at the time, without feeling guilty that I'm neglecting my website.

You see, it's the perfect platform indeed.

For example the very first lenses that I created back in 2008 were on the subject of panic attacks and anxiety.
I create a sort of mini-hub (niche) on this topic because that was my interest at the time.

Here are the lenses on this very topic:

Panic Attack While Driving
Treating Anxiety Naturally
How To Overcome Anxiety Without Medication
Anxiety Panic Attack Symptoms

Looking back over these initial lenses, well let's just say that I've learned much since then how to properly use Squidoo and write better quality lenses. However they do earn me a coin or two so I am tweaking them and making them better as time permits.

Over time I added a few more lenses loosely related to the subject:

Instant Stress Relief Techniques
and
Wake Up Fresh In The Morning

I won't write too much anymore on the subject of panic attacks, but maybe I will touch more on stress relief as it is something I need to tackle in my own life pretty much all the time.

As you can see these lenses are closely related to each other (I have also interlinked them at Squidoo) so my visitors can hop over to another lens if they so choose. They are a mini-hub related to a topic. It wouldn't have been worth to create a full blown website only for a handful of articles because in the meantime I moved on to other topics that caught my interest more.

No comments:

Post a Comment