Thursday 27 September 2012

Google Traffic Before The Lens Is Featured

I've read a recent post on Greekgeek's blog about how Squidoo can get Google traffic BEFORE the lens becomes featured (i.e. enters in the next day's lensrank update) and I decided to make my own test.

I created a new lens yesterday on Black and silver bedding, did the usual posting on the Squidoo forum and the various Facebook groups and then waited to see what happens.

The next morning when I checked the lens stats (lensrank update happens usually at around 3 pm my time), it already had 4 visitors from Google and the lens is still In WIP status. You can see in the screenshot below the lens in red with total of 40 visitors. The next screen shows the 40 visitors broken down in 4 direct and 36 referrals. I'm not quite sure why Google visits are considered referrals, but there it is - 4 visits from Google, and the rest are from within Squidoo and Facebook.



And yes indeed, the lens is already indexed in Google:


So it's true, lenses in WIP status (work in progress) before getting featured for the first time can get Google traffic, so WIP doens't immediately mean noindex as many of us previously thought. Now I'm not sure about lenses that get into WIP status after they've been already featured, i.e. due to lack of updates, or no traffic or simply low quality content that is not rewarded. But at least initially the red WIP before the lensrank update still allows Google to find the lens and index it.

No comments:

Post a Comment